Rediscovering Dickens

A chronicle of the transcription of 20 issues of Household Words by Charles Dickens. http://household.umkc.edu

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States

I'm working on a pet project to digitize all of the issues of Charles Dickens's weekly magazine, Household Words, that contained portions of his novel Hard Times. Since OCR software is expensive, I'm transcribing all of 20 issues by hand. Since I am actually interested in what I am typing (and am therefore reading as I go), and I not the speediest of typists, this will take me a little while. This blog will chronicle my progress and my thoughts about the project and its content along the way. Why should you care? If you are at all interested in how popular culture evolves, how the middle class came to be, and how literature is affected within and without its context, you should read on. If you couldn't care less of such things, then you might want to go elsewhere. Thanks for visiting - I hope you will return. - Lynn

Thursday, August 03, 2006

I just finished another article - Love and Self-Love - a short fiction involving a handsome, brooding artist, a young and wealthy countess, and a shameful secret. Trust me, it's far less interesting than I just made it sound. Maybe it's because the story is over 150 years old (at least), but I found it way too predictable. I thought that it started off well enough, and seemed like it was going to be a pretty good mystery, but I found the mystery part to be a bit of a let-down. I don't read many fiction pieces in contemporary magazines, so maybe this one is just as good (or bad) as any.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home